Delicious. Just try it. I came across this recipe while looking for a yummy side dish to take to Christmas dinner at my sister’s house that wouldn’t need to be reheated. I didn’t take a picture, but you can see how delicious it looks in the photo of the original recipe poster (link below). I LOVE quinoa. It is a fantastic source of complex carbohydrates and is gluten free, which is important for some diets! Pairing it with the black beans makes this recipe packed with fiber, protein, and healthy carbs.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, well rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, seared on a pan to get a little browned
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 5 ounces Queso fresco, Queso Panela, fresh Mozzarella or other mild farmer’s cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, including tender stems, packed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Bring quinoa, salt and water to a boil in a pot. Cover and simmer until all water has been absorbed, about 10-15min. Prepare other ingredients during this time (step 2). Remove from heat and let rest about 5min before placing in a large bowl and fluff with a fork.
2 In a small bowl, soak the red onions in lime or lemon juice to help take the edge off. Mix the prepped black beans, corn kernels, tomatoes, cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, and oil into a large bowl.
3 After the quinoa has cooled, mix into with other ingredients. Add the red onion and the lime juice and add salt, more oil or lime juice to taste. Serve at room temperature.